Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Seductive Anger

Anger is a seductive devil.  Anger at a person, a situation, a state of being - it slips into your soul, enveloping your being, taking control of action, reaction - and damning it all.  It feels so good while it controls you, but leaves a field of damage in its wake.

It’s easy to get angry at what caused a traumatic experience, and while this might feel justified and self vindicating in a moment, it rarely accomplishes anything positive - the rage invigorates, but then leaves you drained.

Anger gets its drive from an energy in our spirit, and by embracing that energy it can be used to surpass difficulties and discover new skills.  This is not easy.  It will cause frustration and very possibly more pain, but the rewards are monumental.  It’s a matter of deciding what you want to discover about yourself.  Embrace the challenge - climb the mountain of difficulties in recovery and let this lift you to new heights.  Don’t let the anger drag you down.


As I reread over what I just wrote (above), I’m afraid these words may sound like something you've probably heard time and time again - and I don’t mean to write canned sayings.  These ideas are not unique or original, they have been shared many times before, and probably in a manner more eloquent than mine.  Its easy to let them pass without acknowledging them - like a pop song on the radio that’s been played too many times, so that hearing the opening bars shuts down the ears - but as I think about this, i recognize the ideas are necessary to repeat until they become a mantra, something you are constantly reminding yourself.

I come to this theme today because I have anger issues I need to deal with - when I feel the world is cheating me in some way, a rage begins to boil like lava in my blood, and if I’m not careful that molten brew will spew out of me and harm innocent relationships regardless of whether the person had anything to do with the situation - my anger has the urge to lash out, but this never accomplishes anything except to create regret.  Acknowledging this helps me to recognize that every difficulty is an opportunity to grow - to learn - to create new paths.  A far harder journey, but one that I can look back at with pride.


No comments:

Post a Comment