Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Angel Kiss

I was kissed by an angel, but I don’t know her name.

Those are the opening lyrics to a song I wrote.  The song began just before my accident - I had recently gone through a high school breakup and was writing books of depressed, banal poetry when finally, I decided that enough of that - it was time to write something a bit more joyful, so I pulled out my notebook and began to scribble the words to a song.  I had the words, but try as I might, I couldn’t find the proper music to accompany what I heard in my head, so I figured I would come back to it.


Then, within a day or two, I had my accident.



Months of recovery passed and I didn’t remember anything about the song - there were more important things to focus on.  My stay at the hospital ended, I returned home, and never thought about the song.

Until I began to sing it.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon and I was walking up East 3rd Street toward my house when a bit of music got stuck in my head - I began to sing along, mumbling as I walked.  I knew the song I was singing, but then I focused on it and I couldn’t figure out how I knew it, until I realized I wrote the piece.  As soon as I got home, I sat at the piano and instantly the accompanying music came to my fingers. 

I like this piece, its probably the best rock song I ever wrote (there aren’t many, but a few), but in light of my accident, this piece has a deeper meaning.  My father was the person who actually pointed this out to me, saying that, when my accident happened, I was kissed by an angel - and that kiss saved my life.

As I’ve said in previous entries, I don’t believe in a God as prescribed by any particular religion, but I do find it interesting that the words came back to me so clearly after my brain injury.  Something kept me alive as I pushed through my recovery - maybe it was an angel.

The complete lyrics:

I was kissed by an angel, but I don’t know her name.
See I think that she’s from heaven, tell you things aren’t quite the same.
When I looked into her eyes, I was taken by surprise,
My life, it was changed.


And I know that there’s forever,
and I know that she’ll be there.
‘cause I catch a glimpse of heaven,
when I see her beside me there.



In the arms of an angel, every dream of mine came true.

She held on to me tightly, said boy, I want to be with you.
Joyous life filled up my heart, our souls will never part,
Now my world, it was changed.


And I know the light will shine down on me,
her smile, makes that clear.
Being with her takes me through the pearly gates,
what comes next I will not fear.

I made love to an angel, our souls combined as one.
I still feel her arms around me, as I lie beneath the sun.
My life was filled with bliss by that girl with just one kiss,
I still don’t know her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment