Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Package from Phish

I adored the band Phish from the moment I first heard their music in my friend’s car cassette player (remember those) when i was in the 9th grade.  The “Phishhead” culture quickly became a part of my life and I joyfully saw three performances in the fall of 1999.  As a committed fan (or Phan), I was especially enthusiastic of Page McConnell, the band’s keyboardist, as I also played piano and I found the melding of musical styles in his playing inspiring.


Just before my accident, several friends and I had purchased tickets for a Phish performance in Philadelphia, and although I was in a Philadelphia hospital when the performance happened, I was unable to attend (for obvious reasons).


I bring this up because on December 22nd, the day before I was scheduled to leave the hospital, a package arrived for me.  Who was sending me a package?  Was it an early Christmas present?  Not knowing what to expect, I was still completely unprepared when I opened the package and found a mother-load of Phish merchandise - fleece jacket, unreleased CD, biographic book, video project on a VHS, two other CDs…and the list continues, but what brought the most joy was at the bottom of the package - under the mountains of memorabilia, a hand written note:  “Dear Lethan, So sorry to hear of your accident, pleased to hear of your recovery.  Keep in touch and we’ll get you to a show this summer. (signed) Page McConnell”

I was floored - this was my musical idol sending me a get well package!

This was exciting, and I think it speaks to the character of the band, but as the years have passed and I’ve been able to reflect on this gift, I recognize these material goods as a representation of why I believe my recovery was so successful.  Material goods are insignificant, but the meaning comes from gifting that bit of added effort to show a person you care.  Page McConnell gave me a lot of merchandise, but what touched me more than any of the material items was that he took the bit of time to write me a note.  Yet this is insignificant compared to what allowed him to be aware of my condition.

After the thrill and joy of receiving the package, I came to understand how this rock star was made aware of my condition.  That I was a fan of the band was well known, and as I was in a Philadelphia hospital while the band would be visiting the city, a letter writing campaign began among my friends and family - “Our friend Lethan is a huge fan of Phish, especially of Page McConnell, and he has a ticket to go to one of the concerts in Philadelphia.  Unfortunately, he was in a serious car accident and will be unable to attend as he is currently in Magee Rehabilitation Hospital, also in Philadelphia.  If you can get word to him in some way, he would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.” - or some variation of this.

This campaign went on consistently, without my knowledge from dozens of people, but the message I believe finally got through to the band was hand delivered to the band on the night of the concert - or at least nearly so.


Two mothers went along to this concert as chaperones, drivers, hip middle-aged ladies, and because we had (my) extra ticket (one mother was already planning on attending, but the second came for moral support).  These mothers took it upon themselves to approach security at the concert with a copy of the letter and, with pleading eyes, negotiate their way to the band’s dressing-room by explaining my situation.  They were not allowed to cross this final barrier, but the security guard at this last obstacle offered to personally deliver the message as he sent the mothers back to the crowd.  I don’t know if is was this letter, or from the bucket of other letters that got his attention, but something got through to the band.  Again, what touches me about this experience isn’t the final result of the package, though that was greatly enjoyed, but the numbers of people giving a little extra effort to reach out for a friend - writing that letters, approaching the security.  I feel it was the people giving this added energy, just a little when they could - nothing extreme - but making sure they gave that energy.  This force, be it subconsciously or spiritually or socially or what have you, encouraged my body- giving that added bit of energy toward healing and allowing me to have had such a successful recovery.  Supplying the energy of a smile for someone in need can be that bit of healing that helps just that much more - sometimes that’s all we can do, but sometimes, that’s what someone needs most.


Please share your thoughts in the comments below.  Chat soon.

Me with my Phishhead friends

No comments:

Post a Comment