Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Feeding Tube

With so many stronger memories that seem to be riddled with meaning, I’m not sure why this one remains so vivid, but it does bring a smile…

When I first returned to awareness, my mouth was wired shut and I had a tube sticking out of my belly - it was through this tube that I was fed.  I don’t remember not being able to communicate, but I’m sure I was severely limited as I don’t see any reason to feed me directly to my belly unless my mouth was wired. - you can see the feeding in the below pic - but that’s not what I remember.






What I do remember is being fascinated with this piece of medical technology, and being proud of my tube - showing it off in the way a ten year old boy displays the grotesque but harmless scrape scrape he suffered.


I also remember the tube being removed.  As I first returned to awareness, the tube was present, and when it was removed, I remember expecting to need to return to the operating room, or at least go under some sort of anesthesia.  Instead, two of my favorite nurses entered the room, one held me down, the other pulled on the tube, and out it came - accompanied by a satisfying “Pop”.

That was it - even at the time I was flabbergasted by the absurdity and simplicity of the procedure - tug the tub and it pops out.  I still had to drink my meals, but finally there was a sense of taste that came with the eating process.

A strange memory, but one I’m glad to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment