Sunday, March 13, 2016

Focused on the Future

You may have noticed that I haven’t been posting as often lately.  The primary reason for that is my new job as an English instructor at the Poly School Academy in Pohang, South Korea.  With this position, I leave my house at 8:50 every morning, Monday to Friday, and get home a little after 8pm each night.  This has limited the time I can give to writing and research.  My goal is to compose two postings each week (on the weekend), but this output may increase or decrease as the weeks roll by.

That said, I DO NOT LIKE MY NEW JOB!

I recognize that I am fortunate to be employed and that I am currently living a relatively comfortable lifestyle, but simultaneously, there are many things about this position that I find appalling, but I don’t want to focus on that - I want to focus on why I took this position.

This position is a crutch - a way to move me toward my future goals.  It’s hard, long work hours and I don’t agree with the education system at the school, but it’s only temporary.  It’s an event that is a part of my life, but it’s not not the whole of my life.  It’s just a time that I’m using to get me to where I want to be.

Back to brain injury - it was terrible, frustrating, difficult, and at times seemed defeating - but it was also just a time.  The goal (and eventually the result) was that I would once again become fully active in the world and share my ideas in an attempt to better this existence for everyone.  Recovery can be merely a time to move you on to the the time that you want.

Life rumbles along, bouncing over bumps along the trail, but what needs to occur within a recovering person is the acceptance of this divot ridden path as a part of her or her history.  I do not like my current job and I did not like my brain injury, but both are a part of the experiences that have made, and are making, me.  At the same time, both these experiences are only part of what is me.  Focus on goals - the reason you want to recover - and see each step as moving you there.

This job is only a temporary snag in life - I’ll work through it and move to the next adventure.  Brain injury is a much bigger snag, but you’re alive and by moving forward, brain injury can also be a thing that you’re working through to move further along in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment